Rebecca A. Edwards
Tulane Law School – 2003
Tulane University, B.A.(English) – 1998
Ms. Edwards is an associate at Mandell Menkes. Her practice includes commercial litigation and general corporate counseling. She represents and advises clients on day-to-day commercial contracts and intellectual property issues. Ms. Edwards has extensive experience negotiating and drafting a wide variety of business agreements, including operating, asset & stock purchase, licensing, servicing, employment, consulting, confidentiality, marketing, manufacturing and distribution agreements.
Selected highlights of Ms. Edward’s recent litigation experience include:
- In 2015, obtained summary judgment on breach of contract claim for a supplier of precision machined components. (See Princeton Indus., Prods. v. Precision Metals Corp., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 107722, 87 U.C.C. Rep. Serv. 2d (Callaghan) 460 (N.D. Ill. 2015).
- In 2015, obtained a beneficial settlement of a class action for an online provider of music.
- In 2013, obtained a beneficial settlement for an officer of a corporation defending a shareholders derivative suit alleging breach of fiduciary, conversion and unjust enrichment.
- In 2012, successfully obtained a dismissal of a complaint seeking to collect from a Fortune 100 software company a judgment that the plaintiff received in an unrelated action for breach of contract against one of its “business partners.” (See Burnham Nationwide, Inc. v. Oracle Am., Inc., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8737, 2012 WL 246463 (N.D. Ill. Jan. 25, 2012)).
- In 2011, won a jury verdict in favor of a telecommunications company in a case involving allegations of fraud and breach of contract.
- In 2011, arbitrated a complex software implementation case.
As a law student, Ms. Edwards was a judicial extern for the United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana. Before receiving her law degree, Ms. Edwards worked for two years as a publisher’s assistant for a New Orleans-based newspaper.
Ms. Edwards is licensed to practice in Illinois, Louisiana and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Ms. Edwards is a member of the Illinois and American bar associations.
- “Obama Pajamas” trademarks laid to rest, ISBA Intellectual Property Newsletter, April 2011 (co-authored with Steve Baron)
- No just desserts for jus tertii defense in Illinois, ISBA Intellectual Property Newsletter, March 2010 (co-authored with Steve Baron)
- Hedge Fund Side Letters, Smart Business, June 26, 2008