A substantial part of our practice consists of advising clients on legal issues arising from consumer lending and leasing, including unsecured closed-end loans and lines of credit, credit, debit and gift cards, retail installment sales contracts, personal property loans and leases and residential mortgage banking. Our clients have included both traditional and technology-based financial institutions. We assist with issues such as:
- licensing and authority to lend, broker, service and collect;
- usury ceilings and loan fee limitations;
- disclosure requirements, including the Truth in Lending Act and Regulation Z;
- state and federal fair debt collection practices laws;
- marketing, advertising and other aspects of unfair and deceptive acts and practices laws;
- Internet-based credit programs, such as computer loan origination systems, mortgage lead generators and online consumer lending platforms;
- RESPA and Regulation X;
- ECOA and Regulation B;
- Fair Credit Reporting Act;
- Home Mortgage Disclosure Act and Regulation C;
- Gramm-Leech-Bliley Act and state privacy and telemarketing laws;
- Predatory lending laws; and
- Retail installment sales and motor vehicle retail installment sales laws.
We maintain a constant two-way communication with regulatory, governmental and trade organizations, which enables us to give our regulatory and compliance clients an advantage over their competitors.